Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Wow, Two in One Day!

OK, here's another homeschool-related post.

I was reading one of my favorite blogs today and came across an interesting post. Mike Cope was the minister at the College Church of Christ in Searcy, AR when I was at Harding University. He's now at Highland Church of Christ in Abilene, and is still the very insightful man I remember. I love reading his posts. He recently went through hell when his 13-yr-old son was involved in a terrible car accident and was hospitalized for several weeks. Anyway, today's post seemed strange, coming from him. He seemed resigned (and so do his commenters) that this is the way the teen years will be.

Does it have to be this way? It seems that I keep reading about how homeschooling can keep family connections in a way that school does not, and that those connections can keep our children from becoming another species when they turn 13. Am I expecting too much? Is the hormonal takeover inevitable? It just seemed strange to me that not one single commenter dissented the idea that this picture of adolescence is 'normal'. Oh, wiser, more experienced ones, please give us your wisdom!!! I have 7 years until my oldest dd turns 13, and 12 1/2 for my son. I sure hope I can steer them another direction during those years.

UPDATE
I'm going to add links here that are suggested in comments, for those who don't always check the comments.

Misty was first with this great article by Dr. Michael Platt.

Kim says that while the hormonal changes are inevitable, rudeness and disrespect are not; and that having a plan is wise.

Randi says that although these years have their own challenges, they're not any more "wrought with peril" than any other stage. Her girls are teens, you should check out their blogs. If my girls turn out half so mature and able to intelligently express themselves, I'll have done my job!!! She also recommends The Age of Opportunity by Paul Tripp.

AND -- Danika joins in with a teen's perspective. Allegra is another Christian, teen-aged homeschooler. I am so excited to see so many thoughtful, articulate, and yet still questioning teenagers. I know that the teen years are a time of questioning, exploring, and finding out just who you are. I'm just praying that that doesn't have to happen with rebellion, animosity, and rudeness. Looks like it doesn't!

Wow, so much great feedback!!! Spunky joins in with a great conversation she had recently with her 14-yr-old son. Don't Bend the Wire!

Andrea's husband Ron has a really great answer as well. Their son Addison had some thoughts in the following post as well, not about my post directly, but as he wraps up his last year of 'schooling' at home, he pretty much proves everyone's points here that teenagers can be quite articulate and, well, human!